This recipe is a family favorite! There is never any left after I make taquitos!
Makes 8 servings
1. Place the chicken breasts in a medium-sized stock pot and cover with water. Sprinkle the garlic powder. Boil the chicken until it is cooked thoroughly.
2. Take the chicken out of the pot, and shred it in a blender or food processor.
3. On each of the corn tortillas, put 1-2 tablespoons of shredded chicken meat. Then roll up each tortilla and hold it in place with a toothpick at each end.
4. When you are done rolling up all of the tortillas, pour the oil into a large skillet. Turn the heat to medium-high. Place 3-4 of the taquitos into the oil. Allow them to cook 3-5 minutes, using tongs to turn them over. Cook them until the tortillas are hard and golden brown.
5. Remove the taquitos from the oil and place them on a plate to cool off. Remove the toothpicks. Repeat until all the taquitos are cooked. You may need to add more oil.
6. Serve five taquitos on a plate. Smear sour cream on top of all of them, then sprinkle a generous amount of the crumbly queso fresco, then top with a handful of shredded lettuce.